Sandals are generally an excellent choice in footwear when summer comes, they are cool, breathable and you can show off your lovely pedicured toenails for the ladies.
Sandals are also the first choice when it comes to beachwear and pool parties.
They can be worn casually or even as a more formal style for elegant events.
However, one thing sandals lack is support and comfort features. Most sandal brands offer very little support or comfort features that can cause pain and fatigued feet.
Supportive sandals are your best option, and there are quite a few brands and models out there that have them available.
Why You Need Support from Your Sandals
Just as you look for proper supportive athletic shoes or work shoe,s you also need to find a sandal that offers proper support, and here are a few reasons why;
- Support for Your Arch Type – Good support for your specific arch type is vital to prevent injuries and overuse injuries and to help with proper posture. Generally, you will need more specialized support for a very high or a very low arch type. Very high arches require support and plenty of cushioning, where a very low arch or flat feet require better stability and a more rigid sole, with arch support for a lower arch type.
- Pronation – When you walk or run, your feet pronate as part of their natural gait movement, they roll inward and outward in motion. This term is known to most runners as they need specific features from their running shoes for pronation. Most persons pronate neutrally, which does not need specific support features. However, if your Overpronate, your feet roll inward excessively, or Underpronate, they roll outward excessively. You will need to look at support features for these pronation types.
- Standing on Your Feet All Day – In an occupation where you are on your feet all day, standing or even walking, particularly hard surfaces, your will need proper support from your sandal if you do not want painful muscles, and fatigued feet at the end of the day. Good cushioning and proper arch support will help to protect your feet, keep your posture right and help with natural movement.
- Proper Fit – A proper fit is just as important as support features in your sandals. Sandals that fit well with a roomy toe and comfortable footbed are a start to well-supported feet.
- Sandals For Leisure Wear – Keep in mind that many of us slip out of uncomfortable work shoe or formal shoes after an evening out, and into a pair of sandal for leisurewear, which is usually flip flops, the most unsupportive shoe design on the market. Yet you do get so many supportive sandal styles, even flip flops that you can use for leisurewear, which in the end will be much more comfortable, and do your feet so much good.
Where To Start
To get the best supportive sandal, I would suggest that you look at certain brands that offer support technologies in their sandals. I have added most of these brands to my review list. Some brands actually design a large range of sandals for all occasions that have support and cushioning features.
Look for a sandal that has a contoured, anatomical, or biomechanically engineered footbed with good cushioning.
Many sandal brands also offer wider fits so that you can get the most comfortable fit.
In the Below features section, I will go into a bit more detail on the specific features for a good Supportive sandal;
Features of a Good Supportive Sandal
- Uppers – The Uppers may consist of a variety of materials such as genuine leather, synthetic leather, or textile materials. Many sandals have uppers that you can adjust for a secure and custom fit.
- Footbed – his is where the magic happens. As you will see, there are contoured, anatomical, Biomechanical, and other technology footbeds that all provide good support, arch support, and cushioning in the right areas. These footbeds cradle your feet in a proper position and contain cushioning foams such as EVA, memory foam, latex, or cork for good shock absorbency and comfort.
- Outsole – the outsole likewise plays a role in support as you will need a less high heel and more solid outsole in a good durable rubber for optimal traction and slip resistance.
- Options – As far as options go, most support sandals are available in more sizes and colors, and some also offer extended sizes and widths.
Reviews: The Best Supportive Sandals
Here are some of the best available sandal nd flip flops that offer optimal support and comfort;
- One of the most supportive sandal from Orthofeet that is ideal for many foot conditions.
- It features layers of cushioning and arch support.
- The toe box is wide and roomy, and you get the sandal in wider width options.
- They are also available in more color options.
Supportive Flip Flops
- The Merrell sandal for support is ideal for all outdoor excursions.
- They feature a cushioned and stability support dual-density midsole and air-cushioned footbed.
- There is a 3mm lug tread rubber outsole for trails and outdoor terrains.
- The uppers are soft genuine leather.
Sandals for Support
- The Chaco ZCloud offers ample cushioning and support.
- It has soft textile adjustable uppers,
- There is a dual-density Luvseat design support and cushioning footbed.
- The outsole is a non-marking Chaco-Grip slip-resistant design that is ideal for trails and outdoors.
Flip Flops for Support
- The Vionic Tide is a very supportive flip flop sandal design.
- They have a podiatrist-designed footbed that also offers excellent cushioning.
- The uppers are genuine leather.
- There are also more colors available to you.
Leather Support Sandal
- The Propet Jace and Pedic Walkersandalsl are more stable support sandals.
- They have a more closed and supportive design for better balance.
- The uppers are leather, and the footbed offers anatomical support,
- The outsole is a durable and thick rubber.
- Some of the footbed layers may be removed for your comfort.
Supportive Flip Flops
- The Crocs Athensise ideal sandal for water use and for wearing to the beach.
- They have a Crosslite cushioning foam material and a footbed with a contoured shape for support.
- The design is well ventilated and very durable.
- They are also available in many more color options.
Index Table: Top Rated Supportive Sandals
|No.||Product||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Orthofeet® - Supportive Sandals||Clearwater||Verona||Orthofeet||98.3|
|2||Merrell® - Supportive Flip Flops||J034353||Merrell||98|
|3||Chaco® - Sandals for Support||ZCloud||ZCloud||Chaco||98.2|
|4||Vionic® - Flip Flops for Support||Tide||Tide||Vionic||98.3|
|5||Propet® - Leather Support Sandal||Pedic Walker||Jace||Propet||96|
|6||Crocs® - Supportive Flip Flops||Athens||Athens||Crocs||95.9|
Table of Contents
- Why You Need Support from Your Sandals
- Where To Start
- Features of a Good Supportive Sandal
- Reviews: The Best Supportive Sandals
- Supportive Sandals
- Supportive Flip Flops
- Sandals for Support
- Flip Flops for Support
- Leather Support Sandal
- Supportive Flip Flops
- Index Table: Top Rated Supportive Sandals