Of all the individuals with many health concerns, older individuals are the most prone as their bodies and immune systems are not quite what they used to be.
Foot problems and deformities are more likely in elderly feet, and therefore they are in most need for proper and comfortable footwear, particularly when it comes to sandals.
Elderly Foot Conditions and Issues
- Heel Pain – Usually because of heel spurs or swelling in the back of the foot and heel, heel pain may be experienced. Stretching exercises, anti-inflammatory drugs, and icing the area can help to relieve the pain.
- Foot Issues from Foot Deformities – Most commonly, an older person will have issues with their feet because of Gout and Arthritis. This can be managed with daily exercise and care of the feet, as well as prescription medication.
- Foot Ulcers – Diabetes mainly causes infections and ulcers of the feet. Careful cleaning and care of the wounds are necessary, as healing may take quite a while.
- Ingrown Toenails – When the sides of your toenails grow into the skin, it can be painful and become infected. It is essential to take care of the infected toe until the nail grows out and then cut it. Avoiding narrow fitting shoes can help to prevent this.
- Calluses and Corns – dead skin that becomes hardened and yellowish in color. Calluses and corns are highly common amongst seniors and can easily be removed and treated at home or by a healthcare professional.
- Hammertoe – A foot deformity which results in the bending and curling of a toe, which is manly common in older adults. Padding and sensible shoes can help to prevent and treat this deformity.
- Bunions – A Bunion is a bony growth that occurs on the side of the big toe or the side of the little toe called a Bunionette, mostly from wearing shoes that are too tight and cause pressure against the toes.
What to Do About Sandals for Seniors
Finding the perfect sandals for elderly individuals can be quite challenging. One crucial factor to keep in mind is that older individuals should always wear shoes, even in the house, sandals are therefore a good ideal in warmer weather and for casual wear around the house.
Concerning the sandal, I would recommend to rather avoid flip flops as they can be a bit on the unstable side. A snug-fitting sandal with a more secure closure design that is gentle against the feet with no added pressure is your best bet. Excellent cushioning and support, along with a comfort fit, it is ideal for elderly feet.
Features of a Good Sandal for Elderly
- Wider width or wider upper toe box area.
- It is cushioned for shock absorbency and comfort.
- EVA midsole and a contoured footbed for better stability.
- Heel cradle.
- Durable and high gripping rubber outsole.
- Smooth interior linings that will not cause any friction.
- The sole of the shoe needs to be thick and solid.
Reviews: The Best Sandals for Elderly
Here are our top choices in comfort and support Sandals designed ideally for the Elderly.
Fisherman’s Sandal for the Elderly
- Comfortable smooth and relaxed fit uppers with seamless linings that prevent pressure and irritation.
- These sandal models are available in wider widths for swollen feet, and Bunion or Hammertoe conditions requiring a wider fit.
- There is a comfort Ortho Cushioning system for pressure and pain relief as well as shock absorbency.
- The outsole is made from thick and durable rubber.
Neuropathy Sandal for the Elderly
- There is a removable multi-density anatomical footbed for comfort and excellent support while allowing you the use of your own orthotics.
- Lined with a climate-controlling lining, your feet will feel snug and comfortable in any weather.
- A nylon shank that provides support and shock dispersion, and ensures better stability.
- The Midsole is cushioned and supportive for shock absorbency, and there is a Smart Comfort system support in the footbed that offers contoured support.
- An excellent choice in an outdoor sandal with the trail-specific and high grip lug rubber outsole.
Sandal for Elderly Persons
- Soft and comfortable textile uppers that will not cause pressure or irritation.
- A durable rubber outsole for grip and traction even on the most slippery surfaces.
- Features the very popular Cloudstepper and Cushion Soft Technology,, which is a lightweight and highly durable cushioning system.
- The lightweight EVA footbed offers additional shock absorbency and cushioning.
- Some color variations are avilbale to choose from.
Orthopedic Sandal for Seniors
- Soft and smooth leather uppers that are adjustable for the most comfortable and customizable fit.
- Comfortable cushioned footbed for maximum cushioning and shock absorbency.
- The Pedic Walker has a removable Pu footbed and a Cushioned PU outsole.
- Both have a high grip durable rubber outsole.
Sandal for Elderly
- Very soft and comfortable uppers from synthetic materials and leather that is supple and flexible for an accommodating fit.
- Smooth textile linings that prevent friction and irritation.
- Bothe feature comfortable Cloudtsepper technology for cushioning that is lightweight and highly supportive.
- A highly durable and high traction rubber outsole.
Comfort Sandal for the Elderly
- It is made from the popular soft and comfortable Crosslite foam that provides cushioning and comfort.
- Hook and loop closure for a comfortable fit.
- Very lightweight and cooling design.
- Easy to clean and quick-drying materials.
- Soft and gentle on your feet and will not cause any pressure or friction, even when wet
Casual Sandals for Elderly Feet
- Soft Suede leather mesh-lined upper provides a friction-free and comfortable fit against fragile skin.
- The three adjustable Riptape straps on this sandal give you an adjustable option for the perfect fit.
- A comfortable and cushioned Ortholite footbed keeps your feet dry and well supported.
- The rubber outsole offers excellent stability and grip.
Sandals for Elderly Feet
- The upper offers a closed fit with an Open-Air construction for ventilation.
- There is a firm heel counter for stability and a very roomy toe box to accommodate all foot types and conditions.
- You can choose between a few neutral color selections that will suit any wardrobe.
- The rubber outsole ensures good traction and grip on most surfaces.
Sandals for Wide Feet
- Soft leather upper with adjustable straps ensures that you ger the most accommodating fit.
- For the footbed, we have an EVA wedge design midsole and memory foam cushioning.
- There is also stability shank in the sole, which improves balance and stability.
- The thick rubber outsole absorbs shock and provides excellent traction.
- What is more is that both sandals offer you wide and extra wide width options.
Comfort Sandals for Eledrly Persons
- The leather upper offers a fully adjustable fit, and there are wider width options available to accommodate all foot conditions and deformities.
- The footbed is cushioned and supportive with a removable PU insole allowing you the use of your won orthotics.
- There is durable and high stability rubber outsole,
Index Table: Top Rated Sandals for Elderly
|No.||Product||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Orthofeet® - Fisherman’s Sandal for the Elderly||Clearwater||Naples||Orthofeet||98|
|2||Timberland® - Neuropathy Sandal for the Elderly||Altamond||Adley Shore||Timberland||97|
|3||Clarks® - Sandal for Elderly Persons||Step Beat Sun||Arla Primrose||Clarks||96|
|4||Propet® - Orthopedic Sandal for Seniors||Vero Slide||Pedic Walker||Propet||98|
|5||Clarks® - Sandal for Elderly||Brixby||Shaylie||Clarks||97|
|6||Crocs® - Comfort Sandal for the Elderly||SwiftWater||LiteRide||Crocs||98|
|7||Clarks® - Casual Sandals for Elderly Feet||Un-Trek Bar||Saylie Spin||Clarks||97.5|
|8||Dr. Comfort® - Sandals for Elderly Feet||Fisherman||Breeze||Dr. Comfort||98|
|9||Drew® - Sandals for Wide Feet||Barcelona||Bonita||Drew||97|
|10||Propet® - Comfort Sandals for Eledrly Persons||Casual||Pedic Walker||Propet||97.4|
Table of Contents
- Elderly Foot Conditions and Issues
- What to Do About Sandals for Seniors
- Features of a Good Sandal for Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Sandals for Elderly
- Fisherman’s Sandal for the Elderly
- Neuropathy Sandal for the Elderly
- Sandal for Elderly Persons
- Orthopedic Sandal for Seniors
- Sandal for Elderly
- Comfort Sandal for the Elderly
- Casual Sandals for Elderly Feet
- Sandals for Elderly Feet
- Sandals for Wide Feet
- Comfort Sandals for Eledrly Persons
- Index Table: Top Rated Sandals for Elderly