When it comes to backpacking, you will be on your feet most of the time, in different environments, and on different surface types.
In the hot summers, a backpacking shoe may not make the cut, and this is where you need to consider the best available sandal for Backpacking.
Why Use a Hiking Sandal for Backpacking
As you have most likely noticed, there is no specific sandal or shoe for Backpacking. Generally, a more lightweight and comfortable hiking shoe or sandal is advised, which is completely accurate.
Hiking or sports type sandal has a more open design that still offers protection and slip-resistance on various surface areas.
Because Backpacking requires you to be on your feet on a variety of surfaces, usually with some form of a load to carry around, a sandal with a firmer sole and midsole, as well as good underfoot support is ital. The most Hiking sandal can provide this, along with excellent grip and slip resistance on both wet and dry surfaces.
What to Look for in a Good Backpacking Sandal
When Looking at sports and Hiking sandals that are ideal for Backpacking, here are a few characteristics to consider;
- Durability and Materails – Most Hiking sandals are designed using durable materials such a Nylon, Genuine Leather, Canvas, and rubber for the sole. Reinforced stitching methods and robust firmer lugs on the soles add to durability. This gives you a sandal that will hold up with p[lenty of walking in tough terrains.
- Wieght – The weight that you carry on your feet takes five times more energy than that which you carry on your back. This said a hiking sandal is generally much more lightweight than a sneaker or shoes, and getting the right lightweight sandal makes a huge difference in your backpacking experience.
- Price – Keep in mind that the success of your adventure will depend greatly on how happy and comfortable your feet are. So all in all, you should be a bit more willing to spend more on quality sandals.
- Comfort and Fit – An essential consideration that I want to end off with is comfort and Fit. Your Backpacking sandal should fit comfortably, not too tight or loose, and with no hard areas that cause painful friction. Comfort features such as cushioning and a supportive midsole is ideal for underfoot comfort and to prevent foot fatigue.
Features of a Good Sandal for Backpacking
The Best sandals design for Backpacking, as we have confirmed, is a Hiking sandal. That said, here are some features that prove to be comfortable and durable in a good sandal for Backpacking;
- Uppers – Genuine leather, Nylon, and Textile materials are ideal in terms of durability and water resistance for Backpacking sandals. A padded or mesh lining can provide comfort and reduce any friction. The uppers should be adjustable so that you can get the most secure fit. Different color or pattern options are also usually available in most sandal models for Backpacking.
- Cushioning and Shock Absorbency – A cushioned Top Sole such as EVA, Foam, or Memory foam can be used for comfort. EVA or foam in the midsole helps to absorb shock and provides added support.
- Oustole – Rubber or Durabrasion rubber is the best option in outsole materials, although some models may have an EVA outsole. The tread of the outsole should be more lug for slip-resistance on various wet or dry terrains.
- Technologies – Technologies for support and shock absorbencies such as Shock Pads or heel counter may be found in some of these sandal models.
Reviews: The Best Sandals for Backpacking
Hiking Sandals for Backpacking
- The sandal has a closed design with a protective rubber toe cap and durable textile uppers.
- The sandal is generally water-friendly and will dry very quickly.
- As you will see, there are many colors and even some print options available from which you can select.
- The footbed is very comfortable with Compression Molded Eva and cushioning.
- The rubber outsole is highly durable and ideal for walking on wet and dry terrains of all sorts.
Adjustable Backpacking Sandal
- The Uppers is a quick-drying textile material with a Universal Strapping system and full adjustability.
- The Sole consists of a soft and comfortable EVA that cushions and supports your feet.
- The Durabrasion Rubber Outsole offers rugged durability and traction for all terrains, wet and dry.
- The Closures are an easy hook and loop design.
- You can also select from a large variety of solid or patterned color options in the ladies’ model.
Hiking Sandal for Backpacking
- The Uppers are genuine leather with a soft and comfortable textile lining,
- There is a UniFly cushioned and shock absorbing midsole for support and comfortable lined insole.
- The outsole consists of a Flexible and Durable Vibram Rubber with a slip-resistant tread,
- The Insole of the sandals is treated with M Select Fresh technology to combat bacteria and odors.
Outdoor Backpacking Sandal
- These sandals are extremely lightweight and comfortable, with a durable sole for all-day walking.
- The uppers are a soft textile material with an adjustable bungee lace-up system.
- There is a cushioned EVA footbed for comfort and support.
- The durable outsole offers excellent traction and shock absorbency.
- Ther are also quite a few color options from which you can select.
Comfortable Backpacking Sandal
Sports Sandal for Backpacking
- Both these sandal features Microban Zinc Based Anti-Microbial treatments in the insole to eliminate odors and bacteria.
- The Durabrasion rubber outsole is highly durable with lug patterns for grip on all terrains.
- The uppers are synthetic and quick-drying with a neoprene and Mesh lining in the Hudson.
- There are a fully cushioned EVA insole and Shoc Pad technology to absorb shock.
Index Table: Top Rated Sandals for Backpacking
|No.||Product||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Keen® - Hiking Sandals for Backpacking||Newport H2||Newport H2||Keen||-|
|2||Teva® - Adjustable Backpacking Sandal||Universal||Universal||Teva||98.4|
|3||Merrell® - Hiking Sandal for Backpacking||all Out Blaze Sieve||All Out Blaze Sieve||Merrell||97|
|4||Dream Pairs® - Outdoor Backpacking Sandal||Adventurous||Adventurous||Dream Pairs||96.8|
|5||Under Armour® - Comfortable Backpacking Sandal||Ignite||Ignite||Under Armour||98|
|6||Teva® - Sports Sandal for Backpacking||Hudson||Tirra||Teva||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Why Use a Hiking Sandal for Backpacking
- What to Look for in a Good Backpacking Sandal
- Features of a Good Sandal for Backpacking
- Reviews: The Best Sandals for Backpacking
- Hiking Sandals for Backpacking
- Adjustable Backpacking Sandal
- Hiking Sandal for Backpacking
- Outdoor Backpacking Sandal
- Comfortable Backpacking Sandal
- Sports Sandal for Backpacking
- Index Table: Top Rated Sandals for Backpacking