You may want to hide your bunions in a closed shoe design for public wear, but for leisure wear, or even if you do not mind showing your bunions, a sandal could be absolutely ideal.
The best Flip Flops for bunions will not place any extra pressure and are a cool and comfortable option for summer.
Bunions and How Your Shoes Affect Them
A Bunion is a Bony bump that usually forms on the joint situated at the base of your big toe.
This generally occurs when some of the bones in the front part of your feet move out of place, which causes the tip of the big toe to pull towards the smaller toes forcing the joints at the base of the big toe to stick out.
Tight and Narrow fitting shoes, as well as high heels that force your forefoot into the front area of the shoe, are the biggest causes of bunions.
However, bunions can also develop because of medical conditions such as Arthritis, deformities at birth, stress, or injuries to the feet, or they may be completely hereditary.
Why Choose Flip Flops for Bunions
- Open Design – Flip Flops have a very open design that will not place any pressure on a painful Bunion. Yes, they are going to expose your bunions, but they are a very comfortable alternative for leisure wear or wearing when you are not in public spaces. The open design allows for better air circulation and improves the healing of bunions.
- Cool – When your feet get overheated, it may be extra uncomfortable when you have Bunions. A hot and swollen Bunion can be very uncomfortable. Flip Flop sandals have an open design that will keep your feet cool and comfortable. Not to mention sweating, which may in turn cause chafing and extra blisters and abrasions on your bunions.
- Proper Support – Many Flip Flop sandals that are available today come with a full supportive footbed that offers proper alignment and arch support which is ideal for keeping your feet comfortable and stable.
- Cushioning – Most flip flop sandal brands and models also offer excellent cushioning options in the footbeds of their flip flops, which reduce impact and pressure on your feet, which in turn may affect or cause bunions.
Features of a Good Flip Flop for Bunions
- Uppers – Flip Flops come in a range of materials for uppers, such as genuine or synthetic leather, textile, or rubber materials. Some have padded or lined uppers for more comfort.
- Footbed – For the footbed, you can expect cushioning in the form of EVA, memory foam, and other foam types with a comfortable lining or water-resistant material such as Crosslite and water-resistant foams. The footbed may have a contoured design with arch support. Some designs have a deeper heel cup or added cushioning in the heel and ball of the foot area.
- Outsole – The outsole can be synthetic, EVA, Rubber, or and EVA and rubber blend, with a patterned tread to offer maximum slip resistance. A thicker sole is ideal for better shock absorbency.
- Fit – Most Flip Flops for Bunions will be available in wider width options or have a wider fit for comfort.
- Options – Flip Flops for bunions may come in more colors and width options depending on the specific brand, and there should be plenty of sizes available.
Reviews: The Best Flip Flops for Bunions
These are our top choices in Flip Flop sandals that are ideal for bunions;
- I simply love the design of the Iqushion Flip Flop for bunions.
- The uppers straps are very thin and flexible rubber that will not chafe against or place any pressure on your bunions.
- The footbed is a soft and durable foam with an anatomical contour, arch support, and cushioning.
- There is additional cushioning in the heel area and the ball of the foot area for optimal shock absorbency.
- The sandal is affordable and available in so many color options.
- The DR, Comfort Flip Flop sandal, the Shannon has the perfect shape and design for bunions.
- The uppers are soft and lined leather that il does not cause friction or pressure on bunions.
- The footbed has an Orthopedic design with a very roomy toe box and wider width options available.
- There is ample cushioning, and the footbed is contoured for support,
- The outsole provides good grip and slips resistance on most surfaces.
- From a great brand, Clarks, I have chosen the Whelkie and Breeze as beach flip flops for bunions.
- They have a synthetic leather and textile uppers that are comfortable and gentle against bunions.
- The footbed has Cloudstepper cushioning technology and is contoured for support.
- They are both very lightweight and comfortable, as well as available in more color selections.
- Crocs Flip Flops are extremely lightweight and water-friendly.
- The uppers are a very soft foam that is gentle against bunions.
- The footbed is contoured for support and well-cushioned for shock absorbency.
- The flip flop sandal consists of crosslite material that is soft and light as well as water-resistant and easy to clean.
- The flip flops are available in more color options.
- Oofos sandals are recovery sandals for aching feet or after sports and injuries.
- They also offer two flip flop models, the Ooriginal for men and OOlala for women.
- They consist mainly of a very lightweight Oofoam technology that absorbs shock.
- The uppers are soft and comfortable for bunions.
- The fit is generally wider and more accommodating.
- The sole has a rocker design to reduce pressure on our feet and bunions.
- From Vionic, we have the Tide Toe post-Flip Flop range ideal for all occasions.
- They are available in neutral color selections for both men and women.
- The Tide flip flop has a durable and high traction rubber sole and leather and textile uppers webbing.
- The footbed is EVA for cushioning with a contoured podiatrist design for support and comfort.
- This design is also an excellent choice for a beach sandal as it is generally water-friendly and quick drying.
Index Table: Top Rated Flip Flops for Bunions
|1||Fitflop Women's Iqushion - Bunion Relief Flip Flop||Fitflop||98.1|
|2||Dr. Comfort Women's Shannon - Bunion Flip Flops||Dr. Comfort||97.9|
|3||Clarks Women's Whelkie Beach - Flip Flops for Bunions||Clarks||97.2|
|4||Crocs Women's Athens - Flip Flop for Bunions||Crocs||97.4|
|5||OOfos Women's OOlala - Bunion Recovery Flip Flop||OOfos||97.4|
|6||Vionic Women's Tide 2 - Flip Flop for Bunions||Vionic||97.5|
Table of Contents
- Bunions and How Your Shoes Affect Them
- Why Choose Flip Flops for Bunions
- Features of a Good Flip Flop for Bunions
- Reviews: The Best Flip Flops for Bunions
- Index Table: Top Rated Flip Flops for Bunions